I’m a major fan of easy-to-make cakes. Simple ingredients, give them a swirl, put them in a pan, then in the oven – kaboom! Baking is so much fun when it’s easy and has spectacular results. Take this cake, for instance: I only had one egg in the fridge, some yogurt and a bunch of lemons; I combined them with some sugar, flour, butter/oil and that was it – a simple, moist and dense teacake. We’re not big fans of dry sponge cakes over here and even though this particular cake was moist to start with, I decided to throw in some extra lemon syrup, just to make sure it was two things: 1. lemony and 2. moooist.
For the cake
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon (or 2 small)
- 2 heaping tbs butter, room temp
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pinch bicarbonate of soda (3/4 tsp)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cup flour
For the syrup
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 5-6 heaping tsp icing sugar
- Whisk the egg and sugar until light and fluffy. Add lemon zest and juice and butter and whisk for 3 more minutes. Add the oil and yogurt and whisk just until incorporated.
- Add the flour, salt, bicarbonate and gently fold in.
- Pour the mixture in a 20cm round baba pan and bake at 160 C for about 1h15 min.
- Set aside to cool; then remove from pan.
For the syrup
- Mix icing sugar and lemon juice in a small pot. Simmer just until the icing sugar dissolves. Pour over cake, then dust with more icing sugar, if desired.
Copyright Honest Plates. All rights reserved.
I feel like this is the perfect combination for winter: tangy, not too sweet, indulgent desserts that are so comforting and honest… Until next time, let’s have lots of love and lemon cakes!