It’s almost summer, the heat is closing up on me and yet I still feel the need for comfort food. I should be craving gazpachos, but instead I dream of warmish, hearty veggie soups. New potatoes are in full season and I’ve been roasting them like crazy these past few days; this time, I decided to do something different. I figured I loved lettuce soup (also in season) and I reinterpreted my mother’s version to something that felt perfect for me: a combo of lettuce, new potatoes and buckwheat!
Lettuce, new potatoes and buckwheat soup
Vegan option, Gluten-free
- 2 liters/ 68oz vegetable stock
- 2 cups very tiny new potatoes, in their skins, thoroughly washed
- 1 small celery root, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 handfuls buckwheat
- 1 medium lettuce, chopped lengthwise
- 300 ml/ 10oz borscht or 2-4 tbs apple cider vinegar (to taste)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup lovage or parsley leaves, chopped
- 3 tbs olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Put the vegetable stock, potatoes, celery, carrot, buckwheat in a deep stock pot, season well and boil over medium heat, until the potatoes are just tender.
- Add the tomatoes and the lettuce and simmer for five more minutes. In the meantime, heat up the borscht (if using) and add it to the soup.
- In a smal bowl, beat the eggs until frothy.
- Remove the soup from heat and pour the eggs, while gently stirring. Then add the parsley and olive oil, cover and let stand for about two hours for the flavours to combine well.
Copyright Honest Plates. All rights reserved.
It’s important to use really tiny potatoes, otherwise they won’t cook through in due time and bigger bites will taste bland. The addition of buckwheat makes all the sense in the world, I feel like it perfectly complements the acidity of the borscht… The soup is gluten-free but can also be vegan if you simply leave out the eggs. I find that the taste of soups, in particular, depends a lot on the quality of the ingredients used, so do buy organic :)
Love and spring soups!